First published in The Eleutheran, September 2008; Edwin’s Turtle Lake Marine Preserve, with a fine new dock and the bottle shack restored, opened in December 2014, where kayaks and canoes can now be rented.
Three miles south of Governor’s Harbour, on the right side at the S-bends as the road plunges toward Palmetto Point, is a large saltwater lake. Passersby who stop to investigate will find the remains of a curious shed built of mortar and beer bottles, the amber, green and clear glass sorted by colour, bottoms facing out. A few yards away, obscured by bush and weathered by the years, is a wooden sign whose words are just legible:
Edwin Fishing Lake
Established March 10th 1954
The First Fishlake of the Bahamas
Over 20,000 fish of 32 varieties have
been placed in this lake.…